Pancreatic Cancer Research Programme
The pancreatic research programme focuses on understanding the molecular mechanisms of drug resistance, invasion and metastasis in pancreatic cancer, in collaboration with Dr. Ray McDermont, Dr. Niall Swan and the surgical team at St. Vincent's Hospital and Dr. Gerard McVey and Prof. Michael Moriarty at St.Luke's Hospital.
Key areas of research involve:
- Understanding the biology of invasion and metastasis through differentially regulated proteins/genes altered in an in vitro pancreatic cancer cell invasion model.
- Examining the role of novel invasion-related markers identified through proteomic, microarray and miRNA analysis.
- Evaluating targeted therapies in combination with radiotherapy and conventional chemotherapy for the treatment of pancreatic cancer.
- Investigating the basis of drug resistance in pancreatic cancers through multidrug resistance markers.
Fiona O’Neill (email@example.com)
Sandra Roche (Sandra.Roche@dcu.ie)
Click here to meet our Cancer Research group
O'Sullivan D, Henry M, Joyce H, Walsh N, Mc Auley E, Dowling P, Swan N, Moriarty M, Barnham P, Clynes M, Larkin A. (2014) 7B7: a novel antibody directed against the Ku70/Ku80 heterodimer blocks invasion in pancreatic and lung cancer cells. Tumour Biol. 2014 Jul;35(7):6983-97. doi: 10.1007/s13277-014-1857-5. Epub 2014 Apr 18.
- Walsh N, Kennedy S, Larkin A, Corkery B, O'Driscoll L, Clynes M, Crown J, O'Donovan N. (2013) EGFR and HER2 inhibition in pancreatic cancer. Invest New Drugs. 2013 Jun;31(3):558-66. doi: 10.1007/s10637-012-9891-x.
- Walsh N, Larkin A, Swan N, Conlon K, Dowling P, McDermott R, Clynes M. (2011) RNAi knockdown of Hop (Hsp70/Hsp90 organising protein) decreases invasion via MMP-2 down regulation. Cancer Lett. 2011 Jul 28;306(2):180-9. doi: 10.1016/j.canlet.2011.03.004.
- Walsh N, Kennedy S, Larkin AM, Tryfonopoulos D, Eustace AJ, Mahgoub T, Conway C, Oglesby I, Collins D, Ballot J, Ooi WS, Gullo G, Clynes M, Crown J, O'Driscoll L. (2010) Membrane transport proteins in human melanoma: associations with tumour aggressiveness and metastasis. Br J Cancer. 2010 Mar 30;102(7):1157-62. doi: 10.1038/sj.bjc.6605590.
- Walsh N, Clynes M, Crown J, O'Donovan N. (2009) Alterations in integrin expression modulates invasion of pancreatic cancer cells. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Oct 13;28:140. doi: 10.1186/1756-9966-28-140.
- Walsh N, O'Donovan N, Kennedy S, Henry M, Meleady P, Clynes M, Dowling P. (2009) Identification of pancreatic cancer invasion-related proteins by proteomic analysis. Proteome Sci. 2009 Feb 14;7:3. doi: 10.1186/1477-5956-7-3.
- Dowling P, Walsh N, Clynes M. (2008) Membrane and membrane-associated proteins involved in the aggressive phenotype displayed by highly invasive cancer cells. Proteomics. 2008 Oct;8(19):4054-65. doi: 10.1002/pmic.200800098.
- Walsh, N., O'Donovan, N., Kennedy, S., Henry, M., Meleady, P., Clynes, M., Dowling, P. (2009). Identification of pancreatic cancer invasion-related proteins by proteomic analysis. Proteome Science. Feb 14;7:3.
- Walsh, N., Dowling, P., Henry, M., Meleady, P., O'Donovan, N., Clynes, M. (2008). Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 and gelsolin identified as novel invasion-modulating factors in conditioned medium of pancreatic cancer cells. Journal of Proteomics, Dec 2;71(5):561-71.