Research Lead for Molecular Therapeutics for Cancer in Ireland
Alex is an award winning translational oncology scientist who is a previous winner of the St Luke’s/ Royal Academy of Medicine Young Investigator award. His research into identification of novel targeted therapies has directly led to the initiation of early phase clinical trials in both melanoma patients and women with HER2-positive breast cancer in Ireland. He has been published in high ranking journals such as Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Oncogene and Breast Cancer Research. He has a record of successfully gaining government and industrial funding to support his research. He is an ambitious, highly motivated, goal orientated research scientist. Alex's current research goals are to determine the impact of kinase mutations on therapy response/resistance as a way of identifying novel therapeutic targets for the treatment of cancer.
- St Luke’s/ Royal Academy of Medicine Young Investigator award 2016
- Current funding:
- Breast Cancer Now Catalyst Award 2017-2020,
- Clinical Cancer Research Trust
- Irish Cancer Society funded research centre - BreastPredict 2013-2018
Total publications: 19; First/Senior author publications: 11; Oral Presentations: 11; Meeting Abstracts: 21; h-index: 10; Total number of citations: 371; Source of citation data (Google Scholar).
- The impact of ERBB-family germline single nucleotide polymorphisms on survival response to adjuvant trastuzumab treatment in HER2-positive breast cancer.
Oncotarget. 2016 Oct 20. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.12782. Toomey S, Madden SF, Furney SJ, Fan Y, McCormack M, Stapleton C, Cremona M, Cavalleri GL, Milewska M, Elster N, Carr A, Fay J, Kay EW, Kennedy S, Crown J, Gallagher WM, Hennessy BT, Eustace AJ
- RNA Disruption Assay as a Biomarker of Pathological Complete Response in Neoadjuvant Trastuzumab-Treated Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2-Positive Breast Cancer.
J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016 Jul 4;108(8). Eustace AJ*, Toomey S*, Pritzker LB, Pritzker KP, Fay J, O'Grady A, Cummins R, Grogan L, Kennedy J, O'Connor D, Young L, Kay EW, O'Donovan N, Gallagher WM, Kalachand R, Crown J, Hennessy BT.
- Kinase inhibitor screening identifies CDK4 as a potential therapeutic target for melanoma. Int J Oncol 47: 900-908, 2015. Eustace AJ*, Mahgoub T*, Collins DM, Walsh N, O'Donovan N, Crown J
- A preclinical evaluation of the PI3K inhibitor BAY80-6946 in HER2-positive breast cancer models with acquired resistance to the HER2-targeted therapies trastuzumab and lapatinib. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2015 Jan;149(2):373-83. Elster N, Cremona M, Morgan C, Toomey S, Carr A, O’Grady T, Hennessy B.T*, Eustace A.J*
- HER2-family signalling mechanisms, clinical implications and targeting in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2015 Jan;149(1):5-15. Elster N, Toomey S, Hennessy BT*, Eustace AJ*
- In vitro Development of Chemotherapy and Targeted Therapy Drug-Resistant Cancer Cell Lines: A Practical Guide with Case Studies. Front Oncol. 2014 Mar 6;4:40. McDermott M, Eustace AJ,Busschots S, Breen L, Crown J, Clynes M, O'Donovan N, Stordal B.
- Predictive biomarkers for dasatinib treatment in melanoma. Oncoscience 2014, Vol.1, No.2 Eustace AJ, Kennedy S, Larkin AM, Mahgoub T, Tryfonopoulos D, O’Driscoll L, Clynes M, Crown J, O’Donovan N
- Growth factor receptor/steroid receptor cross talk in trastuzumab-treated breast cancer. Oncogene. 2014 Jan 27. Collins DC, Cocchiglia S, Tibbitts P, Solon G, Bane FT, McBryan J, Treumann A, Eustace AJ, Hennessy B, Hill AD, Young LS.
- Evaluation of IGF1R and phosphorylated IGF1R as targets in HER2-positive breast cancer cell lines and tumours. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012 Nov 2. Eustace AJ*, Browne BC*, Kennedy S, O'Brien NA, Pedersen K, McDermott MS, Larkin A, Ballot J, Mahgoub T, Sclafani F, Madden S, Kennedy J, Duffy MJ, Crown J, O'Donovan N.
- 2D-DIGE analysis of phospho-enriched fractions from dasatinib-treated melanoma cell lines. J Proteomics. 2011 Apr 1;74(4):490-501. Epub 2011 Jan 13. Eustace AJ, Dowling P, Henry M, Doolan P, Meleady P, Clynes M, Crown J, O'Donovan N.
- Prospects for non-immunological molecular therapeutics in melanoma. J BUON. 2010 Jan-Mar;15(1):9-18. Eustace AJ, Mahgoub T, Tryfonopoulos D, O'Donovan N, Crown J.
- Membrane transport proteins in human melanoma: associations with tumour aggressiveness and metastasis. Br J Cancer. 2010 Mar 30;102(7):1157-62. Epub 2010 Mar 16. Walsh N, Kennedy S, Larkin AM, Tryfonopoulos D, Eustace AJ, Mahgoub T, Conway C, Oglesby I, Collins D, Ballot J, Ooi WS, Gullo G, Clynes M, Crown J, O'Driscoll L
- Preclinical evaluation of dasatinib, a potent Src kinase inhibitor, in melanoma cell lines. J Transl Med. 2008 Sep 29;6:53. Eustace AJ, Crown J, Clynes M, O'Donovan N.
- The 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase inhibitors, simvastatin, lovastatin and mevastatin inhibit proliferation and invasion of melanoma cells. BMC Cancer. 2008 Jan 16;8:9. Glynn SA, O'Sullivan D, Eustace AJ, Clynes M, O'Donovan N.