Director (Interim), NICB.
Diabetes & Metabolism
Head, 3U Diabetes Consortium
Dr. Donal O’Gorman established, and is director of, the Centre for Preventive Medicine (CPM) at Dublin City University (DCU). The CPM integrates basic, translational and applied research to reduce the development and progression of common clinical conditions. He also leads the 3U Diabetes Partnership, an initiative integrating the research expertise of DCU, the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and the National University of Ireland Maynooth. Dr. O’Gorman’s research focuses on metabolic physiology, in particular the whole body regulation of insulin sensitivity and energy expenditure as well as the cellular regulation of gene expression and mitochondrial function.
Dr. O’Gorman has a strong track record of working on large scale, collaborative, European research projects. DEXLIFE is an EU FP7 collaborative project to identify biomarkers that better predict the onset of type 2 diabetes and INTERCONNECT is a global initiative on diabetes gene-environment. In addition, he is on the management committee of the Joint Programming Initiative (JPI) on Diet and Diet related diseases (DEDIPAC), heads a European Space Agency group on metabolism and is a member of the ESF funded roadmap for space research in Europe (THESEUS).
In 2010 he was a co-recipient of the XII National award for research on Sports Medicine in Spain. He was a member of the National Task Force on Obesity in Ireland, a former president of the Exercise and Sport Science Association of Ireland and is currently on the editorial board of the American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology and Metabolism.
- Davenport C, Ashley DT, O'Sullivan EP, McHenry CM, Agha A, Thompson CJ, O'Gorman DJ, Smith D. (2015) The Effects of Atorvastatin on Arterial Stiffness in Male Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. J Diabetes Res. 2015;2015:846807. doi: 10.1155/2015/846807. Epub 2015 Apr 30.
- Andersen GS, Thybo T, Cederberg H, Orešič M, Esteller M, Zorzano A, Carr B, Walker M, Cobb J, Clissmann C, O'Gorman DJ, Nolan JJ; DEXLIFE Consortium. (2014) The DEXLIFE study methods: identifying novel candidate biomarkers that predict progression to type 2 diabetesin high risk individuals. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014 Nov;106(2):383-9. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2014.07.025. Epub 2014 Jul 27.
- Barrès R, Yan J, Egan B, Treebak JT, Rasmussen M, Fritz T, Caidahl K, Krook A, O’Gorman DJ and Zierath JR (2012) Acute Exercise Remodels Promoter Methylation in Human Skeletal Muscle. Cell Metab. 2012 Mar 7;15(3):405-11. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2012.01.001.
- Egan B, Dowling P, O'Connor PL, Henry M, Meleady P, Zierath JR, O'Gorman DJ. (2011) 2-D DIGE analysis of the mitochondrial proteome from human skeletal muscle reveals time course-dependent remodelling in response to 14 consecutive days of endurance exercise training. Proteomics. 2011 Apr;11(8):1413-28. doi: 10.1002/pmic.201000597. Epub 2011 Feb 25.
- Egan B, Carson BP, Garcia-Roves PM, Chibalin AV, Sarsfield FM, Barron N, McCaffrey N, Moyna NM, Zierath JR, O’Gorman DJ. (2010) Exercise intensity-dependent regulation of PGC-1α mRNA abundance is associated with differential activation of upstream signalling kinases in human skeletal muscle. J Physiol. 2010 May 15;588(Pt 10):1779-90. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2010.188011. Epub 2010 Mar 22.