The NICB is equipped with a state-of-the-art proteomics and mass spectrometry core facility, which is supporting many research programmes in the NICB and DCU, as well as providing proteomic input to several external academic, clinical and industrial collaborators.
The facility is equipped with proteomic infrastructure for:
- Protein/peptide separation
- Protein/peptide identification (gel and gel-free)
- Protein/peptide characterisation (e.g. post-translational modifications)
- Quantitative differential protein expression analysis with labels (e.g. TMT) and without labels (e.g. label-free LC-MS)
- Targeted proteomics.
The proteomic equipment includes:
- Orbitrap Fusion Tribrid with ETD mass spectrometer (funded through an SFI Infrastructure Award to DCU)
- LTQ Orbitrap XL mass spectrometer
- LTQ-XL mass spectrometer
- TSQ Vantage Triple Quadrupole mass spectrometer
- Ultimate 3000 RSLCnano LC systems.
Associated analysis software includes:
- Progenesis QI for Proteomics
- ProteomeDiscoverer – using MASCOT and SEQUEST HT
- Biopharma Finder.
Examples of some recent Publications:
- Coleman O, Henry M, O’Neill F, Roche S, Swan N, Boyle L, Murphy J, Meiller J, Conlon NT, Geoghegan J, Conlon KC, Lynch V, Straubinger NL, Straubinger RM, McVey G, Moriarty M, Meleady P, Clynes M. A Comparative Quantitative LC-MS/MS Profiling Analysis of Human Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma, Adjacent-Normal Tissue, and Patient-Derived Tumour Xenografts. Proteomes. 2018 Nov 6;6(4). pii: E45. doi: 10.3390/proteomes6040045.
- Henry M, Gallagher C, Kelly RM, Frye CC, Osborne MD, Brady CP, Barron N, Clynes M, Meleady P. Clonal variation in productivity and proteolytic clipping of an Fc-fusion protein in CHO cells: Proteomic analysis suggests a role for defective protein folding and the UPR. J Biotechnol. 2018 May 31;281:21-30.
- Henry M, Power M, Kaushik P, Coleman O, Clynes M, Meleady P. Differential Phosphoproteomic Analysis of Recombinant Chinese Hamster Ovary Cells Following Temperature Shift. J Proteome Res. 2017 Jul 7;16(7):2339-2358.