Senior Research Fellow
CHO Bioinformatics & Biostatistics
Padraig Doolan has over 10 years experience and 35+ peer-reviewed publications in the research area of bioinformatics and biostatistics at the National Institute for Cellular Biotechnology (NICB), DCU. His previous position was Program Leader of the microarray/bioinformatics core facility at NICB and involved running large-scale microarray experiments and subsequent multi-level bioinformatics/biostatistics analyses. Examples include application of multivariate statistics and machine learning approaches (Principal components analysis; Partial least squares regression; Artificial neural networks; Support vector machines), application of gene selection methods (recursive feature elimination; jackknife variance estimation) and administration of the NICB LIMS and Pathway Studio Enterprise (PSE9) database.
2013-2014: Graduate Certificate in Management, Digital Marketing at Dublin City University
1996-2001: Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Cell & Molecular Biology at Dublin City University
1992-1996: BSc., Biotechnology, (Hons.) at Dublin City University
- Doolan, P., Clarke, C., Kinsella, P., Breen, L., Meleady, P., Leonard, M., Zhang, L., Clynes, M., Aherne, S.T., Barron, N. Transcriptomic analysis of clonal growth rate variation during CHO cell line development. J Biotechnol. 2013 Jul 10;166(3):105-13. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiotec.2013.04.014. Epub 2013 May 4.
- Clarke, C., Madden, S.F., Doolan, P., Aherne, S.T., Joyce, H., O'Driscoll, L., Gallagher, W.M., Hennessy, B.T., Moriarty, M., Crown, J., Kennedy, S., Clynes, M. Correlating transcriptional networks to breast cancer survival: a large-scale coexpression analysis. Carcinogenesis. 2013 Jul 8.
- O'Neill, F.*, Madden, S.F.*, Aherne, S.T., Clynes, M., Crown, J., Doolan, P.*, O'Connor, R.* Gene expression changes as markers of early lapatinib response in a panel of breast cancer cell lines. Mol Cancer. 2012 Jun 18;11(1):41.
- Clarke, C., Doolan, P., Barron, N., Meleady, P., Madden, S.F., DiNino, D., Leonard, M., Clynes, M. CGCDB: A web-based resource for the investigation of gene coexpression in CHO cell culture. Biotechnol Bioeng. (2011) Dec 21. doi: 10.1002/bit.24416.
- Doolan, P., Barron, N., Kinsella, P., Clarke, C., Meleady, P., O'Sullivan, F., Melville, M., Leonard, M., Clynes, M. Microarray expression profiling identifies several genes associated with regulating sustained cell specific productivity (S-Qp) in CHO K1 production cell lines. Biotechnol J. (2011) Dec 7. doi: 10.1002/biot.201100255.
- Clarke, C., Doolan, P., Barron, N., Meleady, P., O'Sullivan, F., Gammell, P., Melville, M., Leonard, M., Clynes M. Large scale microarray profiling and coexpression network analysis of CHO cells identifies transcriptional modules associated with growth and productivity. J Biotechnol. 2011 Sep 20;155(3):350-9. Epub 2011 Jul 27.
- Doolan, P.*, Melville, M.*, Mounts, W., Barron, N., Hann, L., Leonard, M., Clynes, M., Charlebois, T. Development and characterization of a Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) cell-specific oligonucleotide microarray. (2011) Biotech Letts 33(9):1773-9. Epub 2011 May 6
- Doolan, P.*, Clarke, C.*, Barron, N., Meleady, P., O'Sullivan, F., Gammell, P., Melville, M., Leonard, M. and Clynes, M. (2011) Predicting cell-specific productivity from CHO gene expression. J Biotechnol. 151(2):159-165 Epub Nov 27 2010.
- Doolan, P., Meleady, P., Barron, N., Henry, M., Gallagher, R., Gammell, P., Melville, M., Sinacore, M., McCarthy, K., Leonard, M., Charlebois, T. and Clynes, M. (2010) Microarray and proteomics expression profiling identifies several candidates, including the valosin-containing protein (VCP), involved in regulating high cellular growth rate in production CHO cell lines. Biotechnol Bioeng. May 1; 106(1):42-56.
- Barron N, Clynes M, Doolan P, Gammell P, Meleady P, Melville M. Pathway Analysis of Cell Culture Phenotypes and Uses Thereof. United States 20090186358. Issued July 23, 2009
- Andersen K, Barron N, Charlebois T, Clynes M, Di Nino D, Doolan P, Gammell P, Kopycinski K, Leonard M, McCarthy K, Meleady P, Melville M, Sinacore M. Differential expression profiling analysis of cell culture phenotypes and the uses thereof. United States 20090017460. Issued January 15, 2009
- Andersen K, Barron N, Clynes M, Di Nino D, Doolan P, Gammell P, Kopycinski K, McCarthy K, Meleady P, Melville M, Ng C-K, Nolan R. Differential expression profiling analysis of cell culture phenotypes and the uses thereof. United States 20080070268. Issued March 20, 2008
- Bray, I., Barron, N., Clynes, M., Doolan, P., Pierce, A. Novel markers for invasion in breast and lung carcinomas. Filed June 2007.
Winner of patent award at Invention Disclosure Awards (Invent, DCU; Dec. 2007).
Winner of overall patent award for Life Sciences 2007 at Invention Disclosure Awards (Invent, DCU; Dec. 2007)